Who Is HSUS?
What's in a Name?
Before you can know who HSUS really is, you need to know who it isn't. Namely, HSUS is not, has never been and, ostensibly, never will be an animal shelter.
Don't believe us? Just ask HSUS head Wayne Pacelle who famously declared, "We never said we funded animal shelters…That's not in our history or in our statement."
The vast majority of Americans (71% in fact) believe HSUS to be a collection of local humane societies.
Sadly, They would be wrong.
In fact, it seems HSUS (the so-called Humane Society of the United States) isn't even affiliated with any actual Humane Societies. HSUS uses the name but doesn't give much back, which seems to really irk local Humane Societies that are starving for funds.
So, if they're neither a "Humane Society" nor an animal shelter, then just who are they and why do they have everyone so riled up?
Ignore the Radical Behind The Curtain!
Founded in 1954 as an animal rights advocacy group, the HSUS is the largest policy arm of America's radical animalist movement. A group whose financial assets number in the hundreds of millions (yep, you read that right), HSUS pushes legislation, regulation and policies throughout the US and world to restrict animal agriculture, medical research, and hunting (just to name a few).
Several groups are trying to reveal the truth behind HSUS. Given its massive size and the scope of its operations, it's difficult to get your head around just who HSUS is, but here's what we know:
- They've been referred to as "PETA with a nicer wristwatch and far fewer naked interns."
- They're being sued under the RICO act (you know, the law that was created to bring down the MOB!).
- HSUS's head, Wayne Pacelle, believes that the differences between animals and humans are "differences of degree and not kind." (Vegan In The Henhouse, Washington Post, 9 August 2004)
- They really, really want you to be vegetarian.
- They like Hollywood so much, they use their hard-won donations (from people who thought they were helping animals) to butter up uber-rich celebrities.
But this is just scratching the surface. The closer you look at the labyrinth of HSUS, its leadership, staff and its associates, you begin to see the truth of an organization that is trying to obliterate a large chunk of American life and culture.
Keep reading to find out more and come back often as we reveal more of HSUS's story.