TURKEY SEASON BEGINS AGAIN
Turkey hunting has been considered one of the most popular hunting seasons in the United States for a long time. Millions will head out to their favorite spots this Spring for this treasured activity. Its popularity can be partly attributed to its challenging nature. The act of calling and luring in a turkey is one that often takes skills that other hunting seasons don't necessarily require.
Thanks to highly regulated seasons, turkey populations are vigorous. According to National Wild Turkey Federation, this was not always the case. Almost a century ago, their numbers were dwindling due to much looser regulations on hunting and less emphasis on conservation. At that time, wild turkey populations fell to well under 100,000. Through hard work and dedication from sportsmen and conservationists, they are now at over 7,000,000!
Almost every state (49 out of 50) now has a tightly regulated turkey hunting season. Alaska is the sole state without one due to its lack of turkeys, being that they wouldn't survive the harsh conditions.
Wild turkeys are almost entirely indigenous to North America. The United States is where you find a majority of them at 89% of the world's turkey populations. Canada and Mexico make up the other 11%. This makes the turkey hunting season one that is as American of a tradition as any other hunting season. It is certainly one that is worth preserving.
Hunters now have an easier time pursuing their targets, which has resulted in much more manageable populations. The evolution of hunting equipment, calls, and well researched strategies have allowed them to be more aggressive in their approach.
For many states, their hunting seasons have already begun, with more to follow. Every Spring season brings with it a new excitement in the accompanying turkey hunt. A significant part of ensuring that turkey populations thrive so that each hunting season remains strong is that habitats are managed with care. This relies on the intervention of humans' conservation methods, majorly funded by sales from the hunting season, that prevent loss of habitat.
Hunters share the burden of developing and caring for this land. They want to see these species flourish and continue to be a symbol of American tradition. It is a tradition that goes hand-in-hand with the renewal of Spring.